Monday, October 17, 2011

protein pancakes

Ok, I don't know if I am going to be able to communicate how excited I am about these things?!

Protein pancakes are our new favorite thing!! They are SO YUMMY and can be done a million different ways. My friend Melinda gave me this recipe after I told her my boys were bottomless pits and were always hungry?! It is a great way to "sneakily" get protein in and avoid them snacking on unsatisfying carbs. You can make them sweet or savory and they are not only for kids :) They taste like a crepe and a pancake hybrid and you would never guess they are mainly made of eggs and cottage cheese?! You just combine these ingredients in a blender and blend til smooth,

2 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup flour (you can sub whole wheat or almond flour )

(you could also easily add  a 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, or any fruit or veggie puree, or go sweet with coco powder, peanut butter, or chocolate chips :)

Pour into a well greased pan, and cook just like you would cook pancakes! 
Flipping them over once one side is golden. 
(Serves 2-3, or a mom and 2 kids ;) I doubled the recipe this morning to feed our whole fam)

This morning I added 3/4 of a banana to the mix and blended well, then used the remaining 1/4 to slice and serve on top with a drizzle of maple syrup :)
Delish! 

Tomorrow we are going savory! I'm going to add spinach, mushrooms and feta to the mix! I'll let ya, know how it goes:)

Try these! I promise you'll enjoy
Cj

(image credit: epicurian.com)

5 comments:

L a u r a said...

Brilliant! Trying these for sure.

Jessica said...

I do something similiar, but I also add uncooked oatmeal. The kids can't tell and it's good for them.

Carly Jean Brannon said...

Laura, y'all wil love it!

Ooh, I like the oatmeal addition, Jessica!

Crystal said...

OK - protein is right up my ally! I can never eat pancakes without a serving of eggs to go with it - going to try this this week! Do you have to add more liquid if you add the dry oats? I think im going to use some of my homemade applesauce!

Carly Jean Brannon said...

Crystal, If you're adding 1/4 cup apple sauce, a 1/4 cup of the oats should work to make the consistency normal!?

CJ